COSEWIC Assessment and Update Status Report for the Western Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus) in Canada
- Assessment Summary
- Executive Summary
- Species Information
- Population Sizes and Trends
- Limiting Factors and Threats
- Special Significance of the Species
- Existing Protection or Other Status
- Summary of Status Report
- Technical Summary
- The Authors
- Literature Cited
- Authorities Contacted
Assessment and Update Status Report
Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada
Comité sur la situation des espèces en péril au Canada
COSEWIC status reports are working documents used in assigning the status of wildlife species suspected of being at risk. This report may be cited as follows:
Please note: Persons wishing to cite data in the report should refer to the report (and cite the author(s)); persons wishing to cite the COSEWIC status will refer to the assessment (and cite COSEWIC). A production note will be provided if additional information on the status report history is required.
COSEWIC 2004. COSEWIC assessment and status report on the western rattlesnake Crotalus oreganus in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada. Ottawa. vi + 26 pp.
Didiuk, A.B., J.M. Macartney and L.A. Gregory. 2004. COSEWIC status report on thewestern rattlesnake Crotalus oreganusin Canada, in COSEWIC assessment and status report on the western rattlesnake Crotalus oreganus in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada. Ottawa. 1-26 pp.
- The report was overseen and edited by Ron Brooks, COSEWIC Co-chair (Reptiles) Amphibians and Reptiles Species Specialist Subcommittee.
- In Crother et al. (2000), which COSEWIC has used as the basis for all reptile nomenclature, this snake is called the Northern Pacific rattlesnake, Crotalus viridis oreganus. A second subspecies of C. viridis in Canada was C. viridis viridis, the prairie rattlesnake. Currently, these two subspecies have been elevated to species: C. oreganus, the western rattlesnake and C. viridis, the prairie rattlesnake (Pook et al. 2000; Ashton and de Queiroz 2001; Douglas et al. 2003). The subspecies of the western rattlesnake found in Canada is C. o. oreganus (Holbrook 1840), the Northern Pacific rattlesnake. As it is the only subspecies of C. oreganus found in Canada, COSEWIC designates it by the current species name, the western rattlesnake, Crotalus oreganus.
For additional copies contact:
c/o Canadian Wildlife Service
Également disponible en français sous le titre Ếvaluation et Rapport de situation du COSEPAC sur le spatulaire (Polyodon spathula) au Canada – Mise à jour.
Western rattlesnake -- Sarah Ingwersen, Aurora, Ontario
©Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada 2004
Catalogue No. CW69-14/383-2004E-PDF
- Date Modified: